Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday Favourites: Nail Care Edition

Hey everyone,

I asked you guys on my Instagram @Glittr if you had any blopost requests, and you asked me to show you my favourite products to use for my nail care. So here they are! :)



BlissKiss Pure NailOil

First up are cuticle oils, my holy grail oil is the BlissKiss Pure NailOil from @simplenailarttips I bought from www.NailCareHQ.com - it is hands down the most lovely product I own for my nails!!
Ana from NailCareHQ recommends doing a 3 day treatment where you only slather this on your nails to get them back to a proper condition if your nails are really damaged and then use it every day, also on polished nails (in this case obviously around your cuticles). Unfortunately the glass polish bottles have been discontinued, they now come in plastic bottles. The product however is just as awesome, no matter the packaging! :) 

I have a whole blogpost on the BlissKiss NailOil and you can read about it here.




Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil

Another cuticle oil I use is Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil. I mostly use this for my toes, because I don't like them very much and don't want to waste my BlissKiss on them :D Also I use it on my hands/cuticles after doing a mani to moisturise the skin before I take a picture. It's a lovely oil with a really nice apricot scent and it leaves your cuticles very smooth and well oiled. It doesn't sink in as nicely as the BlissKiss, therefore for me it is my second choice when it comes to cuticle oil. Nonetheless it's a great products and I would happily recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good cuticle oil! 




L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream

Moving on to hand lotions, I'm not too specific about using any special ones. I do have some favourites though! One of them is the L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream. It's supposed to be non-scented, which it pretty much is, but still it has a very nice, clean, shea butter scent to it. What I also like about it is that it moisturises your hands without leaving them sticky or feeling dry, I hate it when hand creams do that! These normally advertise that they sink in fast to leave non-greasy hands, but for me they just make my hands not feel moisturised at all, even if they may work. The L'Occitane sinks in nicely but leaves a moisturised feel to your hands, but you will not be leaving greasy marks on everything you touch afterwards! ;)
It's a pricey little fella, but a little goes a long way with this one and so for me it's worth the money.




Neutrogena Nordic Berry Hand Cream

Another hand cream I've really been loving over the past few months is the Neutrogena Nordic Berry Handcream. I don't know if you can buy this everywhere, although Neutrogena is a widely spread brand. I bought it at the drugstore and it's a cheap alternative to the L'Occitane one, because it has all the same good qualities. 
The L'Occitane is probably a wee bit thicker than this one, but the Neutrogena really is a pretty solid hand cream it would happily recommend. I've already gone through four tubes of this and I really like it, but I need to switch it up because I can't stand the smell anymore! :D Don't get me wrong, it smells lovely!! But I tend to get sick of some smells after some time so I am now using up some other hand lotions I found while cleaning up my beauty product stash ;)



Lush Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter

Another way of taking care of your hands are cuticle balms/creams One product I really enjoy using is the LUSH Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter. It smells divine, very citrussy obviously ;) I moisturise it around my cuticles before bedtime sometimes and it really smoothes the skin and takes care of any dryness! I will say it's not cheap though.. But in this case, one tube will last you forever!!
Two other great cuticle balms for on the go are the BurtsBees Cuticles Balm and the GlistenAndGlow Nail and Cuticle Balm. They're both perfect to pop in your handbag and use whenever you need them. Also, they both smell amazing! :)




Orly Cutique Cuticle Remover

Something else I like to use (this is especially for my toenails because I don't really have any excessive cuticle growth on my fingernails) is Orly Cutique. I saw this product in Nailit Mag in an article about pedicures and I was curious to try because my toenails just look horrific and nothing I have tried before has worked (i.e.: putting on cuticle oil and then carefully pushing back the cuticles). 
This stuff really worked for me, you just put it on the nail, let it sit for a bit and then carefully scrape off the excess cuticle that has grown over your nail (which the Cutique has now softened) with a rosewood stick or some other tool that does the job. 
It's also supposed to be a stain remover, I haven't really seen a difference in the colour of my toenails but I always put polish on to cover them up anyway. After taking off all the excess cuticle and slathering them with the Essie Oil, I didn't hate my toes as much as before and I could actually show them wearing flip-flops, so that is a huge difference to me! 
There are probably many other cuticle removers out there, but this is the only one I've tried so far and I trust it will last me a while too :)




my nail care tools

These are the tools I use for my nail care:

  • I have no idea what you call the blue tool at the top, but it's to remove hard skin around your nails. I have quite a lot of that around my fingernails and I can't soften it with oil, so this tool is a life saver for me!! It has a sharp forked end with which you can carefully cut away the hard skin. Be careful not to get carried away though, I've cut myself more than once removing that pesky skin there..
  • I saw this Revlon NailClipper in Nailit Mag too and immediately wanted it, it's a bit rounded which is better for the nails and it comes with a rubber case around it which you can remove, it collects the cut off nails so they don't go flying everywhere (gross!!) and you can just empty them out when you're done :) I use this only on my toes, because I only file my fingernails and never cut them.
  • Rosewood sticks are perfect for pushing back the cuticles on your nails, be it toes or fingers. I usually put on some cuticle oil, massage it in and let it sit for a while, then start pushing back the cuticles as much as needed.
  • The nail file pictured it actually crap, I bought it in a pack of two at boots at the airport trying to kill some time waiting for my flight and got sucked in by the cute design. When using it I noticed the pink colour comes off onto your nails.. thanks a lot! But in general, these are the kind of files I use, this one was just the only one that was not completely used and disgusting (don't want to put your eyes through that). I normally buy my nail files from the girl that used to give me my gel manicures, but as I no longer go I haven't bought a good file for a while, although I am in desperate need! The ones I normally use are from LCN, same brand as the blue tool of which I don't know the name ;)

So that is all for my favourite nail care products, I hope you enjoyed this post! If you have any questions or want to recommend any products I should try, drop me a comment! :)

Lots of Love,
Glittr


No comments:

Post a Comment